5.24.2014

Clean Eating Challenge: Day 11

In case you are just joining me, this is Day 11 of Buzzfeed's Clean Eating Challenge.  Today was not so hard.  Usually if I begin the day with an intense workout (in today's case, a fast 2 mile run) I will have a clementine about 30 minutes before so I can have a tiny bit of energy at least.

Breakfast: Kale Banana Smoothie
The same as last week. I am still loving this flavor, but more so, the intense green color!



Lunch: Healthy Tuna Salad
Let me begin with an anecdote.  Tuna salad used to be my favorite thing growing up.  I was one of the only kids I knew who willingly ate fish.  I was a pescetarian in the making for sure.  One time when I was quite young, I was home alone and couldn't find anything to eat, so I decided to make tuna salad!
No hard boiled eggs…hmm, that's ok, I can go without.
No mayonnaise.  Well, it just needs something wet to hold it all together.  Ok, ketchup!
No pickles or relish.  It just needs something chunky in it.  Cheese!
Yes.  I made myself a delicious tuna salad with ketchup and cheese.  I'm sure it was amazing and I ate it all.  My mom thought it was hilarious.

This tuna salad that buzz feed made me eat restored my faith in tuna salads.  You don't need mayonnaise!  The dijon and olive oil were enough, mixed with the soft texture of the egg.  In my case, I also added two scallions.  I can't remember what the lady at the farmer's market called this particular lettuce, but it wasn't exactly big enough or strong enough to make cups out of, so I ate it mostly with a fork and picked up the last remnants with the baby lettuce pieces.  As much as I try to stay away from canned foods and the fact that I haven't had tuna salad in years, I think I will add this to my lunch rotation, maybe once a month or so.



Snack 1: Banana Avocado "Pudding"
Ok.  First things first, This is more like a smoothie than a pudding.  Mine had no pudding consistency whatsoever.  I could have easily drank it through a straw.  That said, it did sort of taste like pudding, if that makes any sense.  I probably wouldn't make this again, but it wasn't bad.



Dinner: Snap Pea, Radish, and Mint Salad
I put this over a bed of spinach because once it was all cooked, I realized that I didn't use quite enough snap peas.  Of course I used goat cheese instead of feta. (See my previous postings) The radishes are from the same lady from the Arts District Farmer's Market from whom I bought the little lettuce from lunch.  This salad was really good.



Snack 2: 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1/2 oz of chocolate, green tea
To make up for last night of not eating the 1 cup of blackberries, I ate them tonight.  But I didn't have a full cup.  So I just helped Danny finish off the rest of this delicious chocolate that we bought from Monoa Chocolates in Kailua, Hawaii.



No comments:

Post a Comment