11.05.2010

Wurstküche: a sausage kitchen

As I write this, I'm still a little buzzed from my latest restaurant adventure.  A couple of friends invited my husband and I to this great little place on the edge of Little Tokyo and the Arts District called Wurstküche.  I have been looking for an excuse to go to this sausage and beer joint for awhile, so I couldn't turn it down!  "Wait Taryn, sausage...aren't you vegetarian????"  Well thanks for remembering, yes I am.  And don't worry, I did not need to waiver in my diet because Wurstküche offers three vegetarian sausages!!  It's so cool to be able to go to a German sausage and beer place and eat more than just fries.

check out the awesome barn doors, this place is an architect's delight.


This place is a great mix of hipsters and intellectuals, and least we forget the intellectual hipsters.  Seriously, everyone in this place is young and cool, but so not "LA."  I really felt like I was in a somewhat upscale dive bar in my alma mater of Columbia, Mo.

We took the bus over after work and knew we were there when we saw a line emerging from a brick wall.  It's set up so you stand in line and order your food and libations, then you walk to the back where all of the seating is located.  We were there at a decent time so almost immediately found a table for four.  Most of the tables are community style too, or small coffin shaped metal tables.  So cool.  The place is really an eclectically modern architect's dream, with the partially brick, partially frosted glass walls, long custom tables and overall innovative layout.

We had plenty of time to drink our beers and chat while waiting for our food to come, but not so long that we were like "ok, where the hell is our food?"  Our food came, oh, it looked amazing.  My friend Emily and I both had the Vegetarian Smoked Apple Sage with caramelized onions and sweet peppers, and our male counterparts had bratwurst and chicken/turkey sun dried tomato and mozzarella.  And of course the groot double dipped fries with curry ketchup.  Mmmmmm.....

The veggie sausage was really good, not sure if I would bother trying the others because I really enjoyed this one so much.  Don't even get me started on the curry ketchup.  Ketchup and Curry are two of my most favorite things.  Put them together and OMG!

The Grade:
Food: A
Drinks: A
Price: A-
Ambiance: A
People: A
Overall Score: A

1 comment: