2.02.2018

#19 - Republique

Dinner here was delicious. Danny and I spent a good 2.5 hours here and never felt bored or hungry. The atmosphere is great. Yes, it's expensive. But when the food is this good, I really don't mind. And I do mean REALLY good.

We were late to our reservation, but I called ahead and they kindly saved our seating. We were seated within a few moments of giving our name to the host.

As an creator of spaces, I absolutely love the look, feel, and overall vibe of this restaurant. Our seat was right in the middle of the action, but it didn't both husband or I. The only possible downside I saw of anything was that they give you those tiny little water glasses and a wine bottle full of still water at your table (all totally fine, love it) BUT there is always someone there to top off your water, which is a bit distracting when you are trying to have a good conversation with your partner. That's it, everything else about Republique is perfect. Just, for me, I don't like someone topping off my water constantly. I can do it myself!

"Eggs on toast" which is soft scrambled eggs and Santa Barbara uni. The varying temperatures and textures on this were really intriguing. I liked it. I felt maybe it could have more variation in flavor, but I was in it for the experience of trying something totally new to me, and it gave me that.


Goiai Burrata Crostini - oh wow. This was fabulous. I'm not quite sure that I got the butternut squash, but it was topped with a kind of kumquat/apricot jam. So good. You can't go wrong with burrata and their bread - which by the way - is amazing and I want more of it every day of my life.


Potato and Leek Beignets - you better believe I had been eyeing these on the menu since first making a reservation here. And now that I've had these scrumptious little pillows of deliciousness, I am dying to learn how to recreate them. More on that later. For now, I promise you, you HAVE to try these babies. They are stuffed with gruyere and sat atop a to-die-for horseradish aioli. Be careful, these suckers are hot. But you also won't want to wait till they cool down!


Cauliflower. I always order the cauliflower on the menu. It's basically how you judge a restaurant in 2018. This one was roasted perfectly, don't forget to dive down to the bottom of the bowl to scoop in some of that lime yogurt. Overall, a solid cauliflower dish.


Butternut squash agnolotti. O.m.g. It was great. So sweet and creamy, and yet savory and complex. It was gone before our bread arrived and we had to shoo away a busser trying to take the bowl that we HAD to sop up the remaining sauce with that brilliant bread.


Don't you dare skimp out on dessert. They have an incredible assortment. I went with the brown butter almond cake with citrus-raspberry sauce, and thyme ice cream. Thyme. Ice cream. Yes, that is a thing and it is effing marvelous. The cake is made to order and worth every last penny. I also enjoyed tea with my cake.


Danny just wanted to try one cheese. Order one cheese is probably the best deal in the whole restaurant. It's $6 and comes with a ton of pieces of fruit bread, pot of honey, and a pot of apricot preserves. Score. This one was Jacob and Brichford's "ameribella"



Bravo République. You do food well. I can't wait to return for brunch to experience the gorgeous space soaked in sunlight (and to try your ricotta toast, quiche, burrata toast, etc. etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment