1.03.2011

Detox

While I was home over the holidays I used a year old gift card to this video/book/music store in my town to buy this amazing book called "You Are What You Eat" by Dr. Gillian McKeith. I swear, this book has already changed my life.

I thought as a vegetarian, locavore, and organic produce eater that I was plenty healthy.  I couldn't figure out why I was still having a massive amount of digestive problems.  After reading this book I now know why and I am very excited to try her suggestions and make myself healthier on the inside and out.

The gist of the book for me is a few key vitamins/supplements, drinking a lot of herbal teas (most of which I'd never heard of and couldn't even find at Whole Foods), juicing, eating 50% raw, 50% cooked, never eating proteins and carbs together, and eating a lot of sprouts.  Maybe this isn't going to be the most delicious diet I have ever eaten, but my plan is to incorporate most of the things she lists in the book into my every day diet.  I will still eat some things that may combine carbs and protein, on occasion, but now that I have all this new knowledge, I will be more conscious of how food digests and how to eat for my body.

I shopped for ingredients for the detox day (today) and for 4 out of the 7 days of her jumpstart diet listed in the book.  $300 dollars later, my kitchen looks like the produce section of Trader Joes.  ($100 at TJ's, $100 at Whole Foods, and $100 for my new Jack LaLanne Juicer!)




I can't believe I haven't juiced before!!  So far I've only tried just apple by itself and it was the most amazing tasting juice I've ever had.  Bright red from a gala apple, Danny thinks the same.  And I really don't like apples and never eat them, well, now I will be juicing them frequently!!!  I can't wait until later in the day to try  her cucumber medley detox veggie juice.  I doubt it will be as yummy as the apple, but I think it will really make me feel good!

I normally won't be spending $300 dollars for the week and definitely won't have time once I start my new job (yay!) to be juicing all the time, taking 5 tea breaks a day and eating so well, but my intention is to do it at least 3 days a week.  This is my New Year's Resolution #1.  Happy New Year everybody!!

2 comments:

  1. let me know how the detox goes, it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it went well, I got a little sick after, but Danny had a bad cold so I think I just got a touch of that. I plan on doing it again, I felt great the day I did it! I think you just need a good clean colon sometimes, ya know? :)

    ReplyDelete