1.01.2018

I'm Back - Jonathan Gold's 101 Challenge

If you've been with me since I started this blog in 2011 and are still here, thanks so much!
If you are new, you haven't really missed anything, and thanks so much for joining me now!

This seems new to me again. Upon deciding to bring the blog back to life for a new personal challenge, I began looking back on my (mostly) random posts from the past. The posts made me laugh, cringe, and wonder "am I really such a terrible writer?!"

Yes. Yes I think I am. But no worries, this new project will be meant to be more of a checklist and less verbose (I hope!)

Jonathan Gold's 101 list:

What is it?
Jonathan Gold is the Pulitzer Prize winning food critic for the LA Times. He gained publicity in the 80's when he ate at every restaurant along Pico Boulevard. You can read his story about it here. A documentary about him called "City of Gold" came out in 2016 - I highly recommend that you watch it. He is known for effecting some small, hole in the wall restaurants with his blessed, glowing reviews and each year, he releases his new 101 top restaurants in LA list.

Why am I doing it?
The past few years I've been bad about not getting out to more restaurants. I began to get into a routine and tend to frequent neighborhood spots instead of doing more exploring throughout the city. On December 9, 2017, I had the pleasure of eating at Chef Ludo's restaurant, Trois Mec, for the first time during a 2 Chef's Series with Chef Martha Ortiz. This came a few months after a life changing lunch at Chef Diego Guerrero's DSTAgE in Madrid. A 2 Michelin Star experience that completely knocked my socks off and literally brought me to tears a few times during the 12 course meal. After my Trois Mec experience this past December, I posted many photos to Instagram and one was "liked" by @trailofgold who I immediately looked into only to discover that he was working his way "to eat all of Jonathan Gold's 101 list." Genius. Also, he is not alone. Turns out there are many who do this, including Kaitlin Orr, otherwise known as @carnivorr who attempted (and probably has since completed) the 101 list in 101 days. My. How Ambitious!
Me? I just want to eat as much as I can make it to for the experience of eating amazing food, meeting phenomenal chefs, and spending good, quality time with my husband, Danny and occasionally, our friends who wish to join us on the journey.

Isn't it expensive?
Yes. Why? Would you like to give me some money to help me eat through this list? Go for it. I won't argue. I accept paypal and venmo.

What's the timeline? Rules? Plan?
There isn't one. I'm doing this completely for myself, for fun. This blog is just a way for me to keep track and for anyone who cares to follow along. I'll also be posting photos and stories on my Instagram @tarynbone so feel free to follow along there as well.

Finally, I should mention that when Jonathan's 2017 list came out, I counted it up and had already been to 14 of the restaurants on the list. And since planning this, I've eaten at a few more. So I will post about those in retrospect as I doubt I'll have time to get back to them in the coming year. So as of this post, 18 down, 83 to go.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment