1.24.2018

#59 - Jar


Jar had so many similarities to A.O.C. going into it, I imagined they would be just the same. (they are not!) Jar also opened in 2002, is very close in proximity to A.O.C., and is another that's been on my radar/list ever since I first moved to LA.

Other than that and their pretty extensive veggie side dishes, they don't have much in common.

Jar is a bit more "fine dining" than A.O.C. as the latter actually felt more casual (despite most people there being dressed up quite well.) Jar has the white table clothes, wood galore (actually an incredibly beautiful space!) The food was red meat heavy as far as main dishes go. We also weren't impressed with their DineLA menu, so much so that neither of us ordered from it.


I went with a salad, fried clams, and purple yams (after asking the waitress her choice between creamed spinach and purple yams) Danny ordered the Coq au Vin. He was in heaven from bite one. I enjoyed my food, but was a little wishful that the salmon had been available so I could have ordered that instead.



Salad with marcona almonds, dates, manchego, and arugula.


Butter lettuce salad with breakfast radishes.


Coq au Vin - whole chicken portion, on bone. cooked in red wine.


The purple yams with creme fraiche and chives - which were too sweet. A bit weird all around...



Fried Clams! Don't think I've ever had these outside of a Long John Silver's. They were good though! Especially dipped in the house made cocktail and garlic tartar sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment