1.17.2018

#55 - Sotto


I'll admit, the first I had heard of Sotto was when I began sorting through everything on Jonathan Gold's 101 List. It's a cute little underground space on Pico, near Beverly. I really enjoyed the space and I was happy to kick off DineLA week with a delicious and thoughtful dinner here.

These restaurants are all about the marinated olives. I'm not complaining! These were marinated in lemon and I think parsley. Very tasty.


House smoked trout spread with grilled bread and house made pickled onion and baby carrots. This was delicious but I felt too much for an appetizer. Danny and I halted this and the carrots below and we were both stuffed by the time the main course came.


The roasted carrots might have been my favorite dish of the evening. They were perfectly roasted so as to be sweet and caramelized on the outside without being mushy inside. They were topped with a light sauce made of super thinly sliced red chili, walnut, and thyme. Totally delicious.


The rigatoni with mushroom and chestnut ragu. So tasty! Nothing more needs to be said.


The Branzino! One of the most delicious and definitely the most interesting branzino I've ever had. The skin was so light and crispy while the flesh was juicy and flaky. It was served over a flavorful bed of fregola sarda (kinda like Israeli couscous), fennel, raisins, pinenuts, and saffron.


Finally, a light dessert to end the meal. This was not exactly what I expected by a "cake" BUT I really enjoyed it. Parsnip, date, and hazelnut cake with Meyer lemon glaze.



No comments:

Post a Comment