6.13.2014

03_Tasting Notes: Askinosie single origin bars

To begin my birthday month, Daniel Bone--husband extraordinaire--bought me so much chocolate.

Like, so much.


Nine 3 oz bars and a canister of Mexican style sipping chocolate, to be exact.  They all came from Askinosie Chocolates, a charmingly magnificent company based out of Springfield, Missouri. (another tasting nod to my home state?  odd.)

Today, I present to you: tasting notes of Askinosie's four single origin bars.


We work our way up from 70% San Jose Del Tambo, Ecuador bar, the most "commercial" tasting of the four.  This is much purer, but it still maintains a more familiar taste on the tongue.  It has an herby quality to it initially, then it become a bit more moderate in flavor, with a smooth finish.


Here's what the bar says you should taste: red fruit, bergamot orange, honey, jasmine, and hints of tobacco


Next up is the 70% Cortes, Honduras bar.  Very citrusy initially, a little bit liquory later, but finishes with a deep intense chocolate flavor.  That's the only way I can describe it.


Here's what the bar says you should taste: citrus, molasses, and sharp stone fruit


Moving up a little to 72% Tenende, Tanzania bar.  This bar is from their Chocolate University program.  I love a company that really gives back in such a great way.  The chocolate has a natural sweetness, like honey.  Not too much of a bite, but leaves a little bit of a sour after flavor.  It has the most velvety mouth feel of the four bars.


Here's what the bar says you should taste: strawberry, blueberry, graham, and velvet


Finally, the darkest of the single origin bars that Askinosie offers, the 77% Davao, Philippines bar.  This one has the grittiest mouth feel of the four bars--to be clear, this is not a bad thing.  I like a good gritty chocolate (their El Rustico collaBARation flavor is my absolute favorite, and it's super gritty)



Here's what the bar says you should taste: brown sugar, earthy tannins, and lavender

Below is Askinosie's tasting notes about each chocolate.  Give me another year and perhaps I will have this chocolate tasting thing figured out.  For now, you can laugh at my initial reactions to the flavors (what I wrote above was after a second tasting,) written beside the more adept offerings from long-time connoisseurs and chocolatiers.


No comments:

Post a Comment