4.07.2018

#24 - Shunji

For Danny's birthday, I transported him to Japan via Pico Boulevard, just off of the 10 freeway off ramp. I'm talking, of course, about the magical hut that is Shunji. We did omakase for the first time and it was a remarkable experience. I have no idea what half the things we ate were, and it's probably best done that way. For instance, I'm aware from reading all the reviews online that one of the things we ate in the appetizer plate was cod sperm. I knew what it was going into it, so I just ate it as fast as possible. Danny didn't know and I made sure to keep it that way till way after dinner. He ate it, loved it, and told me he thought it must be some sort of mashed potatoes.

Overall, the experience was phenomenal. I loved everything put in front of me, and the nigiri's were the best I've ever ever had. Remarkable! And this comes from a couple who reveres Hama Sushi beyond all others as THE BEST. But these nigiri were something new and special without a doubt.

Hard to say my absolute favorite dish of the night, but if I had to, it would be the black cod soup. Holy moly, I was blown away by the sweet, flakiness of the cod and the umami of the broth. Maybe it was because I was still suffering a tad from my cold, I know not, but I promise you that this soup absolutely blew me away.

























No comments:

Post a Comment