1.03.2012

Oatmeal casserole: hot or cold

I'm a fan of healthy, delicious breakfasts that you don't have to cook every morning.  
This makes 4-6 servings for me.
I like it better cold than I do straight out of the oven.

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Casserole (adapted from Oh She Glows)


What you need:
2 small sweet potatoes peeled and chopped (approx. 2 c uncooked)
1/2 c oats
2 c almond milk
1 ripe banana
1 T ground flax seed
2 t vanilla extract
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
2 T maple syrup

Topping:
2/3 c chopped walnuts
2 T Earth Balance, melted
2 T flour (I use buckwheat)
3 T brown sugar

What you do:
1.  Bring pot of water to boil and add chopped sweet potato.  Boil until fork tender (about 5 min).  Remove and set aside.
2.  Whisk together oats, milk, and flax seed in pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for about 7 minutes, or until runny oatmeal texture is achieved.
3.  Add sweet potatoes and banana to pot and mash all ingredients together.  I need to invest in a potato masher, my large fork took a lot of effort!

                            

4.  Mix remaining ingredients into oatmeal.  Put oatmeal mixture into a casserole-like dish, or whatever you have.
5.  Mix topping ingredients together and put crunchies on top of the oatmeal.
6.  Bake in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
7.  Enjoy your first serving hot...it's good, but trust me, it will be better later, straight from the fridge!
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment