7.22.2011

Planes and Intersections

Ah the surfaces model.  It begins in a much more difficult way than that of the sticks, but it becomes something so much more amazing and fun.  At least that was my experience today.


I utilized my map very well on this one and really tried to emphasize the parallelogram without being redundant or obvious.  In using the 30 and 45 degree angles from my map, a few really great spaces began to take shape.  I'm assuming that is kind of the point of this exercise, to bend and intersect the planes using the map and hopefully something interesting emerges.  In my case, I tend to look for those beautiful interiors such as this one:


This view reminds me of Yoshio Taniguchi's design of the MOMA.  I have a thing for museums. There is just something so delicate about creating a space that should be the background to the art, but really it becomes more than just a complement to the art.  Steven Holl did the same on the addition to the Nelson Atkins in Kansas City which is a tie for my favorite museum design.

Oh, and I added more than just 5-10 sticks.  It's finished now, I refuse to add anything else because I'm afraid it's on the verge of becoming redundant and there is nothing that I hate more than a design that is so obvious it slaps you in the face.


Eric Owen Moss spoke to us today.  He sort of laid out the idea behind SCI-Arc, I guess in case anyone didn't already know.  I knew, which is why I chose to apply.  Basically SCI-Arc is not a school of ideas in itself, but the idea that everyone should experiment and strive for something new, that has never been done before.  There should be no labels on the work that comes out of SCI-Arc, no systems or rules of particular styles are to be followed, but instead should be questioned.  I liked his example that at SCI-Arc, we wish to get into the cracks that are inherent in the differing styles of architecture and from there see what hasn't been seen.  The idea in itself is incredibly abstract and I believe that is the point.  Basically it goes back to my philosophy for life, which is to question everything.  I think me and this school are going to work out just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment